[geeks] "Lord SJobs... ARISE" ... Apple has moved to the Dark Side

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Thu Jan 12 12:21:07 CST 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> Anyone got a favorite PCI RAID card for x86 boxen?  I suppose hoping
> for reasonably priced bootable RAID 5 would be as hopeless as that of
> Windoze without BSOD...

Your options for new are LSI Logic and Adaptec.  A single-channel U320
RAID card is $ 350 US or so, $ 450 US or so with battery backup for the
cache.

My choice is usually for LSI Logic; every LSI Logic card I've used Just
Works with:
 * Win2k
 * Win2k3
 * WinXP
 * Linux
 * FreeBSD
 * NetBSD

Adaptec is a pain in the arse with anything but Windows.

Mylex is good and the cards are plentiful, but they take non-standard
memory (what didn't back then?  Most stuff these days is standard ECC
SDR or DDR); the cards on places like eBay usually lack it.  Finding
compatible memory can be daunting.  Finding a good condition battery for
the cache can be a pain all by itself.

Personally, I would go new, but I usually don't have budget constraints :)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com