[geeks] "Lord SJobs... ARISE" ... Apple has moved to the Dark Side

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Wed Jan 11 03:08:08 CST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:51:49AM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Supposedly the "new Macintosh" will be 64 bit only. In that case the Intel
> processors are not that bad. Not as good as the AMD's, but not that bad.

Nope, the Yonah doesn't support EMT64, so it's 32-bit only. See
http://news.zdnet.com/5208-9584-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=15968&messageID=319439&start=-1
It's basically a slightly suped-up, dual-core Pentium M.

I seem to remember something in Jobs' initial "switch to Intel"
announcement about Apple using only 32-bit Intel CPUs initially. I'm
guessing this'll change when the Intel-based PowerMac is announced.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/