[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Feb 28 21:55:16 CST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 22:37, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
> >Date: Tue Feb 28 11:32:14 CST 2006
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...
>
> <snip>
>
> >I may break down and attempt Sol 10 x86 on this hunk of junk desktop
> >I rec'd at new $ork depending on what the HCL tells me.
>
> My advice is to download the x86 platform test ISO (kept with the ISOs on the Sun Download website) - it will present you with a one screen summary of what will and will not work under Solaris 10 x86. If the image won't boot, you have your answer. Sorta like sticking a Knoppix CD in to see if Linux will work...

Try the Solaris-Nevada builds (opensolaris codebase)... it detected almost everything AND properly set up the ethernet card and graphics, on a weird-ish Dell laptop I loaded it on, without any futzing.  Also the newer 1/06 Solaris 10 and the Nevada builds, use GRUB instead of the horrid boot loader used previously.

--Patrick