[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 28 21:37:46 CST 2006

>From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
>Date: Tue Feb 28 11:32:14 CST 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

<snip>

>I may break down and attempt Sol 10 x86 on this hunk of junk desktop
>I rec'd at new $ork depending on what the HCL tells me.

My advice is to download the x86 platform test ISO (kept with the ISOs on the Sun Download website) - it will present you with a one screen summary of what will and will not work under Solaris 10 x86. If the image won't boot, you have your answer. Sorta like sticking a Knoppix CD in to see if Linux will work...

I tried it on an old Compaq Prosignia server (PIII/500 MHz, 128 Meg RAM - the BIOS had a Solaris install option!), but I didn't have enough RAM for the software tester...

Lionel