[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 21:31:27 CST 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Mon, 27 Feb 2006 @ 18:47 -0500, Sridhar Ayengar said:
>
>> I don't use Linux because it's a mess.
>
> The kernel?

The kernel is definitely not that bad, but even it's messier than I
would like.

> A particular distribution?

Pretty much every distribution has mess in places, but I've found that
if one is careful, Gentoo is flexible enough to minimize the mess.

> I use NetBSD most places, but Slackware Linux on my desktop.
>
> I hate most other distributions because they ship with so much stuff it
> is faster to just install most of it than to try and pick and choose
> from among the thousands of options.
>
> They also ship kernels that are obviously for feature freaks, and not
> production use.

I've found that even Slackware has quite a bit of messiness.

I really dig NetBSD.  I use it all over the place, including in
production servers running internal to IBM.  One doesn't really have to
be very careful to keep it largely mess-free.  And the multiplatform
interface consistency and interoperability is to die for.

Peace...  Sridhar