[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

Tue Feb 28 14:58:21 CST 2006

> I think people overestimate the importantance/usefulness of
> commercial support in deciding if they should go with free or
> commercial software.  [...]

I have a relevant anecdote.  Two related anecdotes, actually.

I once worked on a project dealing with Sun machines (way back, back
when VME-based machines were live Sun product).  This project had money
enough behind it to have bought access to internal Sun support -
supposedly, the people inside Sun that Sun people went to when they
needed help.

Every time we had occasion to call them, we already knew more than the
tech we spoke with did.

To be fair, I've also had experiences in the other direction; at a past
job, we had an Auspex fileserver, and I must admit that every time we
had occasion to call Auspex, we got knowledgeable, friendly, prompt,
and *helpful* help.

So I don't completely write off vendor support.  But I sure don't
automatically assume it will deal with any problems I might have,
either, even if the vendor assures me it will.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca