[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

Nick B. nick at pelagiris.org
Tue Feb 28 13:04:46 CST 2006

I'm going to have to say, If You Want A Mainframe, Buy A Mainframe.  If you
call it unix, make it at least vaguely resemble Unix, don't just take your
mainframe OS and hook a few standard unix commands into it.  Oh, also, don't
enable telnet and ftp by default, and don't make it pure torture to install
SSH.  Oh yeah, we're past the 90s.  df -h and du -h should just work.  It's not
that hard.  I can explain how to make it work in a few minutes.  Really.

Now not to say it's not an intresting OS, I've been having quite a bit of fun
learning it, it's quirks and the intresting capabilites of the Power5 hardware.
Just don't call it "UNIX" much less "good UNIX" and expect me not to giggle.
	Nick