[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Feb 28 12:20:19 CST 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> This is where we differ...I hate RPM.  Apt and it's derivatives are bearable,
> though the configuration hierarchy is something I haven't quite grokked
> yet.

Red Hat tried to make Cygnus use rpm for all their software distribution.

We could never get through to them that we were contractually obligated
to use specific packaging formats for delivery to certain customers.  Or
that some customers were using embedded platforms, or other operating
systems, to which RPM had never been ported and which it did not
support.  Or that half the OSen RPM DID claim to support were on the
basis of, "MumbleOS 4.7?  Sure, we got a report someone got RPM 2.1 to
work on MumbleOS 3.4 once, so RPM 5.3 ought to work just fine on it."

RPM is Teh Evul, and Red Hat is the Microsoft of open source.

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518