[geeks] Anyone know how to make chipped beef, not SOS.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Feb 28 03:23:39 CST 2006

Fellow geeks,

I've become the proud owner of a food dehydrator. So far I've used it
for vegetables and fruit, now I want to try my hand at meat. I had a
frozen steak, a round thing that was probably "shaped and formed", so I
cut it in thin strips, fed the cats the fat and shook it up a container
with worchestshire sauce and garlic powder for a minute.

It's now drying. I'm hoping to get something like beef jerky, but it's
just an experiment for now.

What I really would like is to make chipped beef. It simply is not
available here and AFIK is not available as a kosher product anywhere.
I've made SOS with salted beef products, but I was hoping to come out
something closer in taste and texture.

I've done a fairly exhaustive web search and all I found for chipped
beef was recipes for SOS and cream cheese balls. All I found for
dehydrated beef was biltong, a South African product available here
easily and beef jerky.

Biltong is made with lots of corriander so it and jerky just don't taste
right. I'm sure I would enjoy them, but not in SOS.

Anyone have any idea of how to make it? Because of Jewish dietary laws
all beef sold here has already been salted. In most cases it is already
salted far beyond any salted beef I've tasted in the U.S. I guess that
way you can be sure the meat you bought was salted according to the
(relegious) law. A small comfort as your blood pressure peaks :-)

I'm looking for spices or flavoring information. Ingredient lists from
the back of packages, what you remember, etc would be helpful.

Thanks,

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838