[geeks] And The Linux Weenies Wonder Why They Aren't Mainstream...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 27 16:19:42 CST 2006

http://xrl.us/j8d4

   For example, they fault Linux OpenOffice desktops for not having all
   the features[0] in Microsoft Windows Office, even though few actually
   use all of the Microsoft stuff. So, in essence, they're saying they
   want desktops cluttered with unnecessary features.

   I also think some people, particularly in business, are skeptical of
   open source because it is community-based and it's free.

No, it couldn't possibly be the "if you want something fixed, you have
the source; fix it yourself" mentality of so many projects, the
difficulty in getting it to work on what most people buy for home/work
computers (ie: the cheapest crap out there), or that you tell your
potential users that there's merely too stupid to see that they don't
need any of the features Office/Windows provides.

Maybe I should start a fast-food chain called Linuxburgers where my
marketing shtick is to sell only three or four menu items each day and
yell at patrons in other restaurants about how they don't -need- the
other thirty or so items on the menu when they're only going to eat a
few.  I can follow it up with a rant at them about how they're
unfortunately too stupid to figure that out.  I bet I'd sell millions.

[0] Which, you know, I rather agree with.  I have a relatively simple
     Word document that refuses to lay-out correctly in OpenOffice 2.0
     thanks to it not shipping with fonts whose metrics are identical to
     the standard Windows/Office fonts.  Rather than spending the time to
     reformat the document myself, I just use Office on a nearby
     Macintosh.
--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "Pain and misery always hit the spot,
Elgin, TX           (     knowing you can't lose what you haven't got."