[geeks] timesheet and invoicing software

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sat Feb 25 11:27:21 CST 2006

I've never gotten a bill for $0, but I did accrue finance charges on
a $0 balance.

My family has recently moved out of the U.S., and before departing,
we cleared up all our debts and outstanding issues.  Well, we thought
we had.  It turns out a Sears credit card is a Bad, Bad Idea.  We
paid off the balance in full, and moved with a clear conscience.  A
few months later my mother-in-law (our forwarding address) began
receiving letters from Sears saying we owed them hundreds of
dollars!  Apparently Sears charges a few pennies any month you have a
balance, at the end of the month.  So the following month we owed
interest on those pennies, then a late charge the following month,
plus interest on the whole.  Repeat for the next few months and
viola!  You owe hundreds of dollars for nothing!

I got the phone number from my mother-in-law and called.  I was told
there's nothing they can do, and I should mail a check.  I laughed
and asked for a supervisor.  They threatened a bad mark on my credit
report.  I laughed again.  I finally got a supervisor who explained
how it happened and cleared to balance and closed the account.

Be careful when you close accounts and MAKE SURE they're really closed.

---sambo