[geeks] DTS or AC3 test video?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Feb 21 15:28:29 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 11:31:58PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 04:08:47PM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > First, I've never seen balanced analog outputs on a DVD player.  Doesn't
> > mean that it doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen it.
>
> CD players sold to DJ's have them, I would not be surprised if you can
> get DVD players with them too. You would have to look in a store which
> caters to DJ's, which is neither a consumer or high end store.

DJ's use DVD-Audio players?  I'm a bit surprised at that, though I guess
I shouldn't be.

Still, there is a bit of a difference between DVD players and CD
players.  At this point most DVD players offer a digital audio output.
It is just a 48khz single output that puts out either a stereo signal or
a compressed data stream of some sort (DTS, MP3, AC3).

And I just found http://www.dvdupgrades.ch, which does offer digital
audio output mods for DVD players.  I don't remeber the CHF to USD
conversion rate, but they look really expensive.  But it would indeed be
of so nice to have a DVD-A/SACD player with SDI and 6 channel AES
outputs.  It looks like such a unit from them would cost something like
2538USD though (plus shipping from .ch, and possibly some sort of import
duties since it doesn't look like they start with US brand electronics).

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/