[geeks] DTS or AC3 test video?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Feb 21 15:08:47 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 03:55:35PM -0500, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Joshua Boyd wrote:
> > [0] This is presumably for SACDs aren't PCM anyway.  They use something
> > called DSD, which I'll leave looking up as an excersice to any readers
> > who care.
> >
> > [1] DVD-Audio is uncompressed 192khz/24bit audio, DVD-Video is
> > compressed 48khz audio at 16bits.  For piracy reasons, I believe the vast
> > majority of DVD-Audio players don't allow digital output (It wouldn't
> > surprise me if some units could be modded though).  Besides, they
> > would really need 3 digital outputs anyway, and I'm not aware of many
> > stereos that support that.
>
> What about balanced analog outputs or AES/EBU or anything else out of
> the ordinary like that?

First, I've never seen balanced analog outputs on a DVD player.  Doesn't
mean that it doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen it.  If a DVD-A
player were to exist that transported the digital audio on board in a
simple form to a set of off the shelf D-A chips, then it would probably
be trivial to add AES outputs or balanced analog ouputs.  People seem to
be redesigning their products specifically to make this sort of thing
harder though.  Second, I believe that you won't find any stock DVD-A
audio player with the three AES connectors needed, just like you don't
find stock DVD players with SDI outputs.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/