[geeks] timesheet and invoicing software

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Feb 20 17:04:05 CST 2006

I would like to find some simple time and invoicing software to support
contract work I'm doing.

Most software I have found so far fits into unacceptable categories:

    - too expensive (which right now means almost any price)
    - not for UNIX
    - too complicated (I'm just one person)
    - the software is broken or not finished

I tried a bunch from sourceforge and elsewhere, and most were either
broken, or just were too much. Some were too simple.

Right now I just track everything by hand, and create my own invoices
with a word processor/nroff/whatever.

I track the hours for each project, currently with a timer program, and
that's about it.

I just need something to track my invoices and their status, invoice
numbering, contract POs, total charges so far, that sort of thing.

It isn't that hard to do manually, but it does take up time I rather
spend doing other things, and its really easy to do stupid things like
issue the same invoice number twice, etc.

I don't really care if the software is command-line, curses, WWW, or
whatever, I just need something that let's me track hours and bill for
them.

I thought about writing my own, but I know how "simple" little projects
can get out of hand, so I rather find something readymade.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in