[geeks] Ping?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Feb 20 16:12:43 CST 2006

Joost van de Griek wrote:

>On 2/20/06 10:21 PM, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>

>>Joost van de Griek wrote:
>>

>>>Seriously, they make stuff these days that enables you to reuse just about
>>>all of a household's excess heat in pretty efficient ways. I know of a
>>>company where the blue-collar workers in the warehouse are used to heat the
>>>ladies in the typing room. Pretty nifty stuff.
>>>

>>Wow, I don't know quite how to respond to that one.
>>
>>Is there air freshener in the ducts, or do the ladies like the smell of
>>the sweaty guys?
>>When they're heated, are they bothered?
>>Are there ducts, or just windows?
>>
>>or
>>
>>Isn't it unethical to burn people to heat others?
>>Do they have to soundproof the incinerator?
>>

>I'm sure once the fire gets going nicely, the screams stop rather quickly.

Well, yes, but there the matter of getting it going, and also the matter
of adding more fuel when the flames start to die down.  I'll bet it's
quite a distraction when the screaming starts, and it's probably
measurable in WPM of the ladies in the typing room.  I wonder how long
it would take to recoup the cost of the soundproofing in recovered
productivity.  It would probably be best if the entire system were
designed with this in mind from the beginning.  Insulating for sound
often insulates for heat as well, which would defeat the purpose of the
incinerator.  It might be best if the incinerator was in a different
building, used to run generators and just use electric heaters in the
offices.  Wait, at that point, we could just buy electricity from the
utilities company.  Well, call the whole thing off....   Besides, no
matter how warm the office is, there will still be a few women who will
plug in their little space heaters, tripping the circuit breaker and
making everyone in the whole row report a computer virus that caused all
of the computers to shut down.  I mean, everyone knows that the first
thing to suspect with any computer problem is a virus.

    -Dan