[geeks] Anyone have a DLP TV?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Feb 15 19:23:38 CST 2006

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

>I have a 67" Samsung DLP that I've been thinking of hooking to my gaming
>box, but I've heard that there's a slight delay in the video processing.
>  If anyone has one and has it hooked to their computer, could you tell
>me if the delay is enough to make action-oriented games unplayable?

I have my wintendo currently plugged into my Samsung HLM-507w.  I've
used both DVI and VGA, and haven't noticed any delay in particular.  I'd
assume that any noticable delay would also manifest itself while using
DVI to play movies (I have a Marantz DV-8400 plugged into DVI), and
while i've not used the PC much while plugged into the TV, i've spent
many hours enjoying movies without any noticable issue.  This is after
over two years of use.  I use the TV much less than the average person,
but have watched enough that i think any audio/video sync issues would
have annoyed me by now.  I have used the PC with both the VGA and DVI
inputs, in windows, it detects the TV, and only allows the resolutions
of 800x600 and 1280x720.  I use the VGA for the PC mostly because i
don't use it much, and prefer to have the DVD player plugged into DVI
(or the HDTV tuner).  Maybe it's time to see if Marantz has a nice AV
reciever with DVI switching of at least three inputs...  (They didn't
when i was buying...)

    -Dan Sikorski