[geeks] New System...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 7 15:42:13 CST 2006

Hello all,

I just wanted to let folks know I got (what I think) is a great new desktop system at a good price:

SunBlade 1000 w/dual 900 MHz "cu" processors
2 Gig of RAM (dual 1 Gig kits, all slots full)
2 9 Gig FC-AL drives
DVD drive
Elite 3d-m6 framebuffer
Country kit
12 month "bumper-to-bumper" warranty
shipped & NJ tax included for $650

Impressions: it is fairly quiet, and doesn't throw off much heat - which is nice, and the speed is very nice too ;^) The case is heavy (was this the last of the "all-steel" Sun desktops?

I'll be upgrading the internal HDs to dual 36 Gig HDs, but other than that the system is very nice as-is. Anyone have any pointers to info on adding external FC-AL drives? I've only really worked with IDE/SCSI drives... Also, any pointers for CD/DVD burners to add in the second 5 1/4" bay?

If interested, I got my system from anysystem.com, and while the prices on the web site are a bit higher, calling up as a non-corporate user got me a good break onthe price. They can config any SunBase 1000, since they apparently have access to the GE off-lease inventory of Sun hardware...

Anyway, I just wanted to share...