[geeks] Sun Fire V210: A New Low in SPARC Servers?

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sat Feb 4 06:15:36 CST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:21:57AM -0500, William Enestvedt wrote:
> > No. They are enabled on every _power cycle_, not every boot. Of
> > course, it's fully configurable - the sticker is just there to
> > alert you to the fact it changed.
> >
>    And yet, I would *still* forget to reset it last month while I was
> setting up a new V890 until juuuust after each time I hit the return key
> on the `init 6` command, and then I'd have to go for a cup of

It will only do it on a _power cycle_
NOT a reboot.

init 6 is a reboot and will NOT (by default) run full diagnostics. It will
run a much shorter version that will take from a few seconds to a minute
or two max (depending on the config of the system).

POST for US-IV CPUs (ie, those in the V890's) were slower than they should
have been in older OBP, but they are much faster now.

  Scott