[geeks] Sun Fire V210: A New Low in SPARC Servers?

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 10:54:28 CST 2006

On 2/3/06, William Enestvedt <William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu> wrote:
>    And yet, I would *still* forget to reset it last month while I was
> setting up a new V890 until juuuust after each time I hit the return key
> on the `init 6` command, and then I'd have to go for a cup of
> coffee...in another town. I drank a *lot* of coffee before I finally
> changed the OBP option.
>    Heck, I had even moved the sticker up to eye level on the front of
> the rack, stuck to some blanking panels. *sigh* You know, I wish I
> learned faster. :7(

I was bit by this after a RAM upgrade on a production V490 at a client
site. Upgrade time: ~15 minutes. Startup time: ~40 minutes.

The site admin and I had some good laughs about how zippy new Sparc
boxes are exceeding old-school HP9000 boot times, in between his quiet
cursing about "new features".

Bryan