[geeks] Dust control in the workshop...

Patrick Giagnocavo 717-201-3366 patrick at zill.net
Wed Feb 1 10:41:13 CST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 11:24, Michael Kaegler wrote:
> We don't share HVAC with the cement folks, so its not like its
> constantly being fed with dust, but they're in the same building.
> When we moved in [to their old stock room] we basically used a water
> hose to get all the dust we could.
>
> I'm imagining a air cleaner with replaceable or (even better)
> washable filters. I considered building our own but I don't have a
> clear idea of how to design one.

There is the dust that is inside, and then there is the dust that enters.

The dust that is inside you can try to clean up but the particles are probably too heavy to stay in the air very long.  You can play with humidity, maybe try to increase humidity a bit to keep the dust down.

What I think you should look at is positive pressure with clean filtered air.  This means buying those 3M Filtrete filters and pushing air into your space.

The filters will ensure that clean air is entering, and any cracks or holes in the wall will server to blow dust out rather than let dust in.  You might find that you need to seal the place a little tighter for best results.

--Patrick