[geeks] Dust control in the workshop...

Michael Kaegler Michael.Kaegler at marist.edu
Wed Feb 1 10:24:59 CST 2006

Short story:
I need to pull concrete dust out of the air in my [computer]
workshop. Neighbor is a concrete factory; this is a *lot* of dust.
Cost and noise are factors. Ideas?

Long story:
A bunch of friends and I rented about 900sqft of space near all of
us, ran a big internet connection there with a /25, then put all our
servers, projects, and tools there to pool resources. Its cool. We
can run anything there...if we can cool it.

We found the perfect place in terms of size, location, and cost...the
one downside: it shares a building with a cement factory. Dust like
you haven't seen. Servers running for more than a year have enough
dust that they should be taken outside before being blown out. Its
very nice dust... it doesn't actually cause us problems with our
optical drives, it doesn't short power supplies, it doesn't insulate
heat sinks... it doesn't do anything. But its an annoyance when it
piles up and I grow concerned there are unanticipated long-term
implications.

We don't share HVAC with the cement folks, so its not like its
constantly being fed with dust, but they're in the same building.
When we moved in [to their old stock room] we basically used a water
hose to get all the dust we could.

I'm imagining a air cleaner with replaceable or (even better)
washable filters. I considered building our own but I don't have a
clear idea of how to design one.

Anyone have ideas or resources?

TIA!
-porkchop

--
  Michael "Porkchop" Kaegler, Network Analyst, 845 575 3061
  Marist College,  3399 North Road,  Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

A man attempted to amuse an audience by spouting
his 10 favorite puns, but no pun in ten did.