[geeks] IMAP Backup?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 29 02:09:18 CDT 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Michael Dombrowski wrote:

> My undergraduate career is ending soon and with that my computing
> package... are there any good tools to do a wholesale backup/mirror of
> my IMAP account? Ideally, I would just give the program my
> username/pass/server and it would download everything it finds there,
> writes out each email as a plain text and/or HTML file, as well as
> downloading attachments. Win or Unix.  Any ideas?

Use Mozilla.  Create a local folder and connect to your remote IMAP
folder.  Copy recursively from remote to local.  Once you get access to
an IMAP server again, you can reverse the process, should you wish.

Mozilla will store the data locally in an mbox file for each folder, I
believe, which should Just Work (possibly modulo line-ending crap) with
most any Unix mail software.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Humans that lose the capacity to think become
Elgin, TX          (    creatures whose existence has no value."