[geeks] Backup Schemes?

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 13:10:44 CDT 2006

On 4/26/06, Robert Brooke Gravitt <gravitt at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, what's your favorite ways of doing backup across your rescued
> systems? Each box to its own tapes, dumping to a backed-up nfs mount,
> tar dumps, etc?
>
> Wondering, as I brought a few boxes this week to play, and spent some
> time with fsck. I need to roll a script that works everywhere to back
> up the sun, hp, sgi,  and macs.

I use Dar for personal use. My backup server (16 GB of diskspace for
backups) mounts my /home directory from the file server and
archives/compresses stuff in cdrw/dvdrw sized volumes. I use a
self-brewn script which I call Darchiver and which is a frontend to
Dar (disk archiver).

http://vandamme.homeunix.net/~frank/scriptjes/

For anything that is music and movies, open source programs or other
stuff that is too big for the backup server I either don't take
backups at all or I use other mechanisms (like writing a movie or a
dozen of mp3 albums to a cdrom).

At work, we use rsync to take daily snapshots of the PDC, where most
user data is, and of the mail server. Maybe I'll look into more
efficient ways to organize backups some day.

--
Frank Van Damme