[geeks] A new Assualt on Net Freedom

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Apr 23 14:13:44 CDT 2006

Pardon the sort of political message, but since many people here administer
email systems, I thought the heads up would be worth it.

This morning, my time, I sent email to someone who uses Verizon as their
ISP and mail server. Since then it has stopped working for all of the
people I correspond with who use them.

Under the guise of controlling SPAM, they have blacklisted (almost) everyone
and expect you to "opt in". This is really annoying as why should I go to
their web site and give them information and hope that they read it
and let me send email to their customers.

What is really disturbing is the following at the bottom of the page:

 "Verizon Online reserves the right to restrict access to or from any
 domain provided at its sole discretion. The information provided to
 Verizon Online must be wholly correct or the request may be rejected. We
 cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide a solution that enables
 you to send or receive e-mail from a restricted source."

From: http://www2.verizon.net/micro/whitelist/confirmation.asp

As I read it, "we can block anyone we want and there is nothing you can
do about it".

You can read more of what I have to say in my blog.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838