[geeks] Printers, postscript, networking...

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Thu Apr 20 12:17:18 CDT 2006

So I've been getting fed up with my Epson color inkjet clogging up every
time I don't use it for any length of time, and the crazy cost of ink.
Years ago when my NeXT Laser stopped feeding paper properly I just stopped
using it (one of these days I may get around to rejuvenating it's
rollers).  I've been looking at printer options these days... I'm thinking
either a color laser, or just a monochrome laser and a small color printer
for photos.  Ideally the laser printer would have ethernet and postscript
(or emulation) capability, so I could print from the widest range of
operating systems with just a PPD.

I am a bit crunched for space though, so I don't think I could fit most
color laser printers that could do that.  The closest I've seen would be
an HP Color LaserJet 2600N ($270), but that doesn't have it's own
rasterizer and this setup doesn't look like it'll currently work on
anything but linux:

http://foo2hp.rkkda.com/

There are non-networkable color lasers that have additional features like
duplexing for not much more (like the Samsung CLP-510, again without a
rasterizing engine), but I just don't think that idea makes much sense,
it's too dependant on vendor-supplied drivers or open-source workarounds.
It probably makes more sense for me to look at black and white lasers.
Does anyone have any experience with BR-Script3, Brother's PostScript 3
emulation?  It's available on printers as inexpensive as their HL-5250DN
($225), which also has ethernet and duplexing.

Sticking with a black and white laser would free up funds and space for
something like the Canon SELPHY CP510 or Kodak EasyShare 500, both of
which should produce longer lasting, better looking, and cheaper prints
than a lot of inkjets would, from what I can gather.  (I figure I don't
need to do any color printing over my home network.)

Anyone have any experience with this stuff, pros/cons?

- Nate