[geeks] Email Disclaimers

Dave Fischer dave at cca.org
Fri Apr 14 12:45:12 CDT 2006

dand at pcisys.net writes:

>On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> > In my case, vi is both an alias and a script that chooses a random
>> > quote from a flat file, stuffs it into my .signature, and then calls
>> > /bin/vi so every email and every USENET post has a random quote.
>>
>> I used to do that, but there are a few times when I'm in different
>> programs, and I still want the same feature, so I just rotate the file.

>Mine works in every app that calls an external editor and uses a .signature
>file.  (elm, tin, trn, nn, pine...)

>I tend not to like/use GUI apps but they probably wouldn't call vi and
>I'd have to rotate the file if I did.

Do you not use vi for anything else?

It seems weird to me, but only because most of my vi use is not
for mail.

You could make your shell script "vi-sig" and then set your EDITOR
variable to vi-sig in a script wrapper for mail, news, etc.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------