[geeks] Opinions on "A personal view of Sun Microsystems"?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 11 19:56:37 CDT 2006

Tue, 11 Apr 2006 @ 18:07 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> Sun's re-versioning plan to leap ahead of all the other vendors to see
> more "up-to-date" came back and bit them because of the perception that
> running Solaris meant never being able to keep up.  I watched several
> companies dump Solaris because I couldn't convince them that it was
> -really- Solaris 2.7 -> 2.8.

Another side effect:

Being refused a job because you knew 2.X but the hiring company's HR
droids were trained to look for X instead.

HATE

It was even worse in the early days of Solaris when people still refered
to the OS as SunOS 5.x, Solaris 2.x.  Two different numbers *AND* two
different names.  I think I got that right.

Oh, and Solaris 1.x for SunOS 4.x.x.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]