[geeks] Needed: SunOS 4.1.4

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Apr 4 13:35:42 CDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 06:17:18PM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> Five if you include the goodies on the "companion" CD, not to mentionm
> the languages CD and other "extra" stuff that winds up being "necessary".

How much of that is needed versus how much is desired? When solaris 2
came out the estimates were that except for the difference in swap
utilization, Solaris 2 used about as much disk space as Solaris 1 (SunOS).

There were some obvious differences, for example, you needed to have a
C compiler some kernel source code and binary libraries in order to configure
the kernel in SunOS. In SunOS 5, you build the kernel on the fly at boot
time by loading those modules you need.

The cost in disk space is that you need to install just about every possible
module you would ever need, but you don't need to have CC and it's files
and kernel libraries.

When I worked at Hebrew U, the head of the system department had NOTHING that
did not come out of the box in the directories that came with the system,
except for a few files in /etc. Everything else was in /usr/local/ which was
automounted based upon operating system type, hardware arcithecture and
which release that machine was running.

Very elegent.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838