[geeks] Professional. Do Not Attempt.

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Fri Sep 30 10:40:22 CDT 2005

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 29 Sep 2005 @ 15:54 -0400, Sandwich Maker said:
>

>>you can hack them; iirc they run a form of linux.  i believe the
>>impulse to phone the mother ship can be shut off, which is a good
>>thing because it also tattles on your viewing habits[0].  alternatively,
>>you could have it report random channels and times, or a preset list -
>>all pbs all the time...
>

> Yeah.
>
> I'm still amazed at how the sheeple make almost zero noise about
> surveillance like this.

In theory, that data (a) is only used to suggest other stuff you might
like, and (b) is anonymous -- it doesn't report any identifying
information, just an anonymous viewing pattern.

Of course, anon.penet.fi was supposed to be anonymous, too, up to the
day when they were forced to disclose identifying information and
promptly shut down saying "We are no longer able to offer anonymizing
services."  (Wasn't that at the instigation of the goddamn RIAA again?)

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518