[geeks] Solaris resiliency to crashing w/full root partition?

Thu Sep 29 20:15:47 CDT 2005

> The problem is that a lot of programs will certainly hang or even
> crash if their path fills up, and rooting everything at / makes this
> far more likely.

...in some environments.

In others, the contrary holds.  I've run systems both ways, and I've
had more problems with filesystems filling up and causing trouble when
using the split-up model.

Of course, I think this is an artifact of what kinds of systems I tend
to sysadmin for, but that's my point: neither answer is valid
independent of the environment.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca