[geeks] Solaris resiliency to crashing w/full root partition?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Sep 29 11:39:09 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 10:58:27AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> I'm going to give it a fair shake on a server once the contractors
> finish up with my computer room at home, since zones and svcadm (wordy
> though it is) and dtrace seem like genuine advances over Solaris 9.

When I first touched S10, and svcadm/svcs/inetadm, I was all like "buh?
wtf?  STRANGE".  However, now I *love* it - its just a *tiny* big different.

Although, I dislike that to disable a service: you use

svcadm disable <name>

but to disable something started via inetd, it's

inetadm -d <whatever>

(syntax may be a tiny bit off there; I dont have access to a S10 box from
where I'm sitting right now).  Consistency across the two would have been
nice.

Zones saved my bacon during NIS-to-LDAP migration testing a few months
ago.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford