[geeks] Solaris resiliency to crashing w/full root partition?

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Sep 29 08:11:06 CDT 2005

Scott Howard wrote:
> Solaris 10's SSH is fairly feature-complete, and is currently being
> back-ported to Solaris 9 (not that 9's is that old anyway). At least
> it supports basic concepts like BSM (unlikely OpenSSH), and doesn't
> resort to ugly hacks when it comes to security (privilege separation..
> ewww)

What's wrong with privilege separation?

> Static binaries are pointless.  Eventually you'll come to realise this

Why do you say this?  One of the problems we have with Bacula supporting
Solaris, and particularly for creating a bare-metal emergency recovery
disk for Solaris, is the fact that Solaris makes it so difficult to
build static binaries.  There are cases when static binaries not only
are not "pointless", but may in fact be indispensable.

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518