[geeks] Solaris resiliency to crashing w/full root partition?

geeks at litfire.com geeks at litfire.com
Wed Sep 28 21:01:56 CDT 2005

Patrick Giagnocavo said:
> If you are talking about the built-in Solaris Disk Suite tools, you can
> use "soft partitions" to give yourself a great number of partitions; but
> there might be some limitations to that.

With real partitions you can do RAID 1+0 (handled transparently by mirroring
two RAID 0 devices), whereas if you do it with soft partitions, SVM doesn't
do the "Oh, you really want 1+0 and not 0+1" leap.

I hate having to do software RAID anyway, but when nobody thought to buy
VxVM, and it's on a V890 with 12 disks, 1+0 in SVM was kind of required.

I only had enough energy to fight for the second controller.  Don't ask me
how our reseller even let them buy a box with 12 disks and one controller.

-Anthony