[geeks] Professional. Do Not Attempt.

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Wed Sep 28 10:40:31 CDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 11:29:35AM -0400, Jeff Cole wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 10:07:58AM -0500, Michael Parson wrote:
>> Those of us that have stuck with the series1 TiVos are, so far, immune
>> to the latest bits of evil that TiVo has succumbed to.  They can be had
>> for fairly cheap on e-bay, etc.
>
> Could someone elaborate on what exactly has transpired? I've been
> planning on buying a TiVo for awhile, but if there's going to be a
> problem with the fair use of the programs I record, I'd like to know.

They've bent to pressure from Macrovision & the broadcasters and are
putting protective flags are shows that are recorded so they can't be
transferred off the TiVo with TiVo-to-go, or dumped to DVD on devices
that have the burners.  They also have the ability to limit how long a
show will stay on your TiVo.  I think the Macrovision agreement also
lets networks set a show as non-recordable, which is supposed to be
limited to stuff like pay-per-view programs.

Series 1 devices do not have these limitations, they've quit developing
for that platform.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org