[geeks] Professional. Do Not Attempt.

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 27 20:50:41 CDT 2005

Tue, 27 Sep 2005 @ 07:57 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > If you want some good science based entertainment watch CSI,
>
> Funny you should say that.  New Scientist a couple of issues back had an
> article talking about CSI, in which forensic investigators were
> complaining that CSI verges on science fiction, and saying that it's

CSI *IS* fiction.

Ask any cop who does this kind of work in real life, and he'll tell
you that CSI is pure fantasy.  It's good that they show some real
techniques, and how much can be done, but bad that they show it as a
relatively easy and convienient process.

Everything that happens in CSI is almost magic, including a remarkable
lack of things like lab failure, legal barriers, and the mind numbing
tedium of real life forensic work.

Most cops I've heard talk about the show are also offended at the
grossly unprofessional behavior you see on the show.  Yes it does happen
sometimes in real life, but not only an almost daily basis like it does
in the show.

Of course, a show that protrayed real police work would also probably be
many episodes of boredom, and brief episodes of pure hell, just like the
real job.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Consulting wouldn't be what it is today
without Microsoft Windows" -- Chris Pinkham]