[geeks] Authenticating Solaris 9 from AD

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Tue Sep 27 14:08:54 CDT 2005

velociraptor wrote:
> My investigation suggested that sufficient changes were necessary
> to the AD schema that it would be a nightmare unless the enterprise
> size was large enough for the additional work to make sense.  In
> particular, since there had been no attempt to "normalize" UNIX vs
> Windows UIDs, etc., in our environment, a lot of work would need to
> be done.

For reference, Services for UNIX (aka SFU) does all that for you :) The
2 tricks to remember are that:

a) SFU needs to be installed on ALL the domain controllers
b) You need to manually set the posix attributes (gid, uid, shell, etc)
in Active Directory Users and Computers. It could probably be done manually

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com