[geeks] Education

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Mon Sep 26 13:55:03 CDT 2005

wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>>   Wha...? Really?! Horrifying.
>>   Heck, I correct "professional" writing here at work with a red pen
>>all the time. I even proof-read a friend's book (over and over and over)
>>and did it to him -- and he wrote _better_. Some people may think I'm a
>>jerk, but there's no substitute for seeing something you considered
>>"finished" showing up looking like a scrap of old butcher's paper. :7)
>>-wde
>>--
>>Will Enestvedt
>>UNIX System Administrator
>>Johnson & Wales University -- Providence, RI
>

> An article was published in the Newark Star Ledger a few years ago where
> a Rutgers education professor made that statement about red pens.  It
> was photocopied and passed around as the "joke of the day".  There are
> teachers in my school that were taught NOT to use red pens.  It's
> happening....

The Marines taught me COBOL back when.  The instructors kept a huge red
marker in their den.

First time one of the students got the treatment the instructor unfolded
  the printout and very neatly scrawled W-R-O-N-G across pages of
fanfold and handed it back, smirking, at the kid.

You _learn_ things that way.  But then Marines - even data dinks - are
not going to be careful about your feelings when results matter.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks