[geeks] What happened to ZFS ?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Sep 23 10:18:56 CDT 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Hey, i can't complain at all about the Netscape Directory
> Server^HiPlanet Directory Server^HSun ONE Directory Server^HJava
> Enterprise System Directory Server

No, not really.  The directory server is lovely.  I just can't figure
what it has to do with Java (much like the Java Desktop).

Although I guess it's better than IBM's approach of rolling everything
under the "WebSphere" banner.  Their response to customers asking "WTF
does $product have to do with WebSphere" was to make $product depend on
WebSphere for some unrelated thing (like configuration or management).
What the did to TSM in 5.3 is really offensive in that way.

> SOMEONE STOP MARKETING BEFORE A SYSADMIN GETS HURT

Marketing in the IT industry is desparately suffering from a really bad
case of breathing their own exhaust.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "When we are young, wandering the face of the
Elgin, TX          (    earth, wondering what our dreams might be worth,