[geeks] Phone system suggestions?

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Fri Sep 23 06:45:15 CDT 2005

> So day job is moving, and not too long ago added the phone
> system to the list of many things I manage.  It's a Panasonic
> hybrid system (analog/digital over two wire RJ-11), and maxes
> out at 96 lines (half digital, half analog), but the company
> could outgrow that (and
> managing it is a PITA), so it's time to look at something else.
> Would you guys recommend Asterisk?  Or something else?  I'm
> mostly concerned with something that's pretty easy to manage,
> flexible, and not crazy expensive...

I sell phone systems in my business, and I've worked for phone
system/networking companies for the last 6 years. One thing I've noticed
is that phone systems are ready for a cluestorm. None of them are easy
to manage or affordable.

Panasonic is the cheapass solution sold by vendors that cannot qualify
as a dealer for other brands. Panasonic will sell to anyone. Since you
have a significant investment in Panasonic now, I recommend extending
the system you have. The single most expensive part of a commercial
phone system is the digital phones themselves. There is a mammoth used
market for Panasonic and you can build out your system cheaply with used
parts.

Otherwise, Iwatsu is a very nice affordable system, and if you have the
money Nortel is great too.