[geeks] Education

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Wed Sep 21 16:17:46 CDT 2005

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
>>(forwarding to geeks@, as this is decidedly not rescue material)
>>
>>While yours is a problem that needs to be addressed, the current model
>>of NCLB is not the right tool for the job.  Funneling everyone into one
>>tract of mediocre education doesn't benefit anyone.  No school would
>>-ever- think of applying such a tactic to athletic programs; why do they
>>do it for the thing they're supposed to do?
>
> [...]
>
>>I realize it sounds harsh and cold and almost eugenic, but you needn't
>>go further than a newspaper from 40 or 50 years ago to see how far basic
>>skills like reading comprehension have fallen in this country.  We may
>>be protecting self-esteem, but we're doing so at the expense of our
>>future.
>

> With you 100%.  Though I don't know what we can easily do about it,
> because so much is tied into it.
>
> It's things like this that make me think that frankly, our society is in
> far more desperate straits than it realizes.

Individuals can't do much.  We elected to home school.

At that we may have found a compromise.  Our two youngest are enrolled
in a virtual academy - run by a public school system in Wisconsin any
school age child can be enrolled.  They're taught at home with mentoring
provided by the pros, and a material provided by the school.  The kids
interact with their mentor/teacher via some nifty on line tools but the
bulk of the thing is done on paper.

They've been at it for a week now.  So far the experience is good.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks