[geeks] Need recommendation : KVM for PC and Mac

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 11:13:55 CDT 2005

On 9/20/05, Ido Dubrawsky <idubraws at dubrawsky.org> wrote:
> So now that I've got my PowerMac project mostly complete I want to set
> it up to use the same monitor as my PC laptop I have on my desk.  I need
> recommendations for a 2-Port KVM that will allow me to connect both my
> PC and the Mac (I am installing a USB/Firewire card in the Mac to use a
> USB Keyboard and mouse) to one monitor and one keyboard/mouse.  Any ideas?

I am using an IOGear $39 one with built-in cables.  It's not all that
great, but for the price it's hard to argue with.  I'm going to be adding
magnets on each cable, as they don't appear to be as shielded as I'd
like.

I've had a couple of issues with the thing getting "lost" (i.e. mouse,
keyboard stops working), but the keys controlling the thing still work,
so that allows the USB bus to be rescanned.

I also have a nice Belkin 4-port USB + audio KVM (in storage).  That
SoHo model is also available in a 2-port model.  You might check
dealcoupon.com--Belkin had a 50% off sale on their website, not sure
if the sale is still on.

=Nadine=