[geeks] Electronics: SC1 kit done!

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Sep 19 22:13:13 CDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 03:02:33AM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> Bll's really progressed.  His first project semed like he was ready to
> accidentally solder his zipper shut and now he's building computers.

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day.  You're right, too!

For comparison, my first-ever soldering job, with a crap iron, crap
solder, and no magnifying glass:

http://static.flickr.com/23/31059933_d455f7b0be_b.jpg

In retrospect, I'm surprised it even *worked*.

I've since upgraded to a nice Weller WTCPT temperature-controlled soldering
station and Kester solder.  This is the job I'm most proud of so far,
perfect 0.10" spacing joints when soldering pin headers onto an Atmel AVR
Butterfly:

http://static.flickr.com/27/39707452_d161baf370_o.jpg

I did all of the pins around the edges of that board, with a magnifying
lens, a steady hand, and a really fine tip.

> Gee....lemme guess...a Cray J90 kit?  Well, Bill?  Inquiring minds
> want to know.

I'll stick with the Z80 SC1 and the 6502-based Apple-1 replica for
now.. Going to learn assembly on both.  It's incredibly satisfying
when something that you put together yourself works when you plug
in the power.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford