[geeks] Electronics

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Sep 13 10:02:03 CDT 2005

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 @ 16:24 -0500, Bill Bradford said:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 03:38:17PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > You mean you aren't doing this using only discrete logic?
> >     :)
>
> See here:
>
> http://www.homebrewcpu.com/
>
> That guy wins.

Cool.

When I worked in a realtime shop, there was a Gould supermini that was
all discrete logic.  Huge boards with hundreds of low-power Shotkey
chips on them.

I've always wanted to build a system that you could "see", and it seems
to me it would be a lot better thing to use in colleges than things like
Java or VisualPuke(TM) which teach you nothing about machines.

The FPGA stuff is nice of course, but using basic components is
something that computer science has gotten away from to the point where
few students ever get exposure to the real guts of a system.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [governorrhea: a contagious disease that
spreads from the governor of a state downward through other offices and his