[geeks] [Fwd: [IP] Red Cross needs network security tech volunteers]

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Mon Sep 12 08:41:55 CDT 2005

On 2005-09-12 5:10, Michael Parson wrote:

> Yeah, but even the Web apps require IE6:

Well, when push comes to shove, I say tell 'em to shove it. It's time to
take a stand, or things will never change.

And that sort of thing is exactly what needs to change. It isn't really that
hard to build a web application that works with more browsers than MS'
latest non-compliant POS bloatware, but as long as non-MS-using consumers
are willing to fire up IE6 once a week to handle their payments, the
developers simply aren't going to care enough to cater to other browsers.

Last week, I was shopping around for better mortgage rates. And I tell you,
no matter how good their rates are, those banks that "warn" me about using
Safari before "letting" me enter their web sites, are getting nothing from
me but a friendly email outlining that I am a very well-paid freelance
software developer that they are *not* going to be selling a 200,000 euro
mortgage to because of this crap. I don't care how much I might save.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
There are only two things that are infinite: The Universe and human
stupidity. Although I'm not sure about the Universe.