[geeks] ADB to USB or ADB to PS/2 converters

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Sep 8 15:22:31 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 03:51:23PM -0400, Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
> Has anyone found any ADB to USB or ADB to PS/2 converters?  I know about
> the iMate which is for ADB peripherals connecting to USB based Macs, but
> I've got a little project going of upgrading a PowerMac 8600 to run Mac
> OS X and it requires an ADB keyboard.  What I want to do is connect it
> to a KVM so that I can switch between it and my Sony VAIO laptop and use
> it for Desktop Publishing.

Found one (kinda)!

http://www.geethree.com/p_ADB.html

$29.95.

It only works with Mice though, no keyboard:

"Does it work with PC keyboards?: This adapter works only with mice
and other PS/2 pointing devices. Unfortunately it does not support
keyboards. The challenge with keyboards is that PC keyboards do not have
a power on/off key. Also there are a variety of PC keyboard layouts so
there is no generalized way to map those keys to a Macintosh."

I do know they exists, in general, a friend of mine has one that he
found in a random bin at the Austin Goodwill Computer Store, back before
they moved and no longer had bins of stuff to dig through.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org