[geeks] Problem booting G3 B&W

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Thu Sep 8 07:59:42 CDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:57:32PM -0500, geeks-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 07:57:12 +0300
> From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Problem booting G3 B&W
> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 08:28:49PM -0400, Ido Dubrawsky wrote:
>
> I think it's the first. The tip off for a quick qcheck is the double IDE
> drive (one on top of the other) bracket, though some second models were
> shipped with a single drive bracket. The only way to tell for sure is
> to look for a web site with pictures. One chip on the motherboard is
> noticably different, the IDE controller chip.
>
> I think the IDE controller chip in the second model had "402" on it,
> but it would be best to look it up. Do a Yahoo or MSN search.

You're right about the Rev. 2 B&W G3 :
(from http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g3c.shtml)

The Rev. 2 b&w G3 uses a different motherboard, has an additional drive bracket,
incorporates a new IDE controller chip (marked 402), and includes a faster
version of the ATI Rage 128 video card. 350 MHz and 400 MHz models may have
either motherboard; 450 MHz and faster versions always have the Rev. 2 board
from the factory. The new IDE controller improves slave drive support and solves
a drive corruption problem.

When buying a blue & white G3, insist on getting a Revision 2 system. The best
way to make sure you're getting a Rev. 2 motherboard is the "402" marking on
the CMD646 IDE controller chip.

I'll check and see what I've got.

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky, CISSP           		E-mail:          ido at dubrawsky.org