[geeks] Anybody having FIOS yet?

Porkchop porkchop at nic.com
Mon Oct 24 19:17:02 CDT 2005

I got my folks on this when it came to the area they live in. As many
of you I'm sure, I'm their 24x7 support contact for anything more
technical than the waffle iron.

I was constantly getting reports that the system I left in place 5
years ago (ye olde dial-on-demand router) was broken, so we went to
DSL, which was also unreliable. Gave FIOS a go, a bit of a risk I'll
admit, but over the last two months I've gotten 0 complaints.

The install wasn't bad either. They have premade lengths of fiber so
they're not melting/glueing (and waiting) onsite. Its a single fiber
which hooks into the OTN, which is about the size of a child's
backpack. Excess cable is kept in a compartment in the back. We have
it mounted in our basement on the same crapboard which holds our main
breaker box, greywater overflow alarm, phone punch blocks etc. They
also mounted a backup battery pack (12v, 14ah; 10 hours full
operation, 2 hours 911-dialout-only) and the dlink router down there
(on my request). They ran some cat5 up to a central/high point in the
house which has the 802.11b bridge. There are still 3-4 open ports on
the router in the basement if we ever need them.

I can't speak to speed, since I'm not there and they are not the
heavy downloading types...but as far as the reliability goes, I'm
sold.
-porkchop