[geeks] F'in Fedora

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Oct 24 13:28:41 CDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 02:12:05PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
>>> me for "disk 1" and "disk 2", each time reading ONE PACKAGE from the
>>> disk, and then asking for the other.  I've had 9 requests for each
>>> CD so far.
>>
>> I'm a little suspicious, I wouldn't have thought that even Fedora
>> would get things *that* badly wrong.
>
> I recently installed Fedora Core 4 (needed it for a consulting gig).
> I did not see the symptom descriped; it wanted all four CDs, but
> only once each.  I have no idea what could be responsible for the
> difference; I do not know Fedora.

OP mentioned that this behaviour reared its ugly head when he ran the
system-config-packages program for RH's UI for installing RPMs.  I'd
never fired it up before, so I did, didn't select anything, as I don't
have the original media I used to install this box (FC3) any more.
However, when installing new packages, or updating existing software, I
belive the command-line method that you'd probably want to use is yum.

yum install foo

As long as all your yum stuff is configured properly, it will go out
and fetch the files you need off the net and install them for you.  If
you're w/o net, or on a slow connection, you're probably stuck with
what you've already tried.  You can probably copy all the disks to the
local HD and configure the sytem to search there instead of asking
for each disk, but that would eat up a lot of space.  I know that
Mandrake^WMandriva has this option.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org