[geeks] Wardriving: 12" PB

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Sat Oct 22 02:04:27 CDT 2005

I love my 12" PB... but it is without a PC-card slot. This is
unfortunate because the Airport Extreme uses a wireless chipset that
has no passive mode support in the stock driver, and has not been
opened up by Broadcom to have a new, passive-supporting driver created.

However, I was considering a USB wireless adapter, with good passive-
mode support. Has anyone had experience with this, specifically under
OS X? KisMAC is unlikely to support any USB2 .11g device due to lack
of time on the part of the developer, so I'm worried that other
applications may have similar limitations. kismet doesn't mention
using OS X at all except with an Airport card, so I don't know if I
should assume that everything works or nothing works.

What hardware and software do you use for wardriving with a powerbook?

  - Micah