[geeks] APC UPS question

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Oct 20 10:36:09 CDT 2005

My two-year-old refurbished SU1000NET died today.  (*taps*)

Came home this afternoon to find all the computers rebooted, and the
"Battery Charge" LED column blinking.  Load LED column is at one or
two LEDs (as normal), "Replace Battery" LED is *not* lit.  At first I
thought it took the iMac with it, but it turns out it just confused
the heck out of the PMU.

However, the UPS will not (apparently) charge, and will not hold anything
on battery when mains power is gone.

ANy ideas?  Turns out I'm about a half-month still in the 2-year
warranty from Power Precision Partners (think3p.com, in Dallas) and
have emailed them.. Are my batteries shot, or is the unit itself
toast?

Went to CompUSA and picked up a Conext-brand 950KVA/540W UPS
temporarily, then got home and found out that my old UPS was a
1KVA/950W.  So, the new UPS can hold up all the network equipment and
Amy's PC, but not my Mac as well.  I've put a 350W APC UPS on the iMac
temporarily...

BTW, "Conext" brand (as seen at CompUSA) is actually made by APC; I
guess its their "cheaper" consumer label.  The shelf price labels said
"APC CONEXT", and the battery in this thing has a huge APC logo
sticker on both sides.

http://www.conextproducts.com/ups/product.cfm?sku=CNB950

Bill

--